Major Depression Specialist

Ketaesthetic

Ketamine Infusion Specialist & Wellness located in Midtown, New York, NY

Up to 20% of people with depression experience poor results with traditional treatments like medication and psychotherapy. In the past, those people were left with debilitating depression and a sense of hopelessness. But today, Ketaesthetic offers intravenous (IV) ketamine, a revolutionary treatment for major depression, in their Midtown Manhattan office. Ketamine infusions offer hope for even the most stubborn depression, and it works remarkably fast. To learn more, call the New York City office or schedule online now.

Major Depression Q & A

What is major depression?

Major depression, or major depressive disorder, is a condition in which you have persistent sadness or feel depressed most of the time. Doctors usually diagnose major depression if you experience symptoms for two weeks or longer. 

Major depression is also known as unipolar depression, which means the symptoms are all lows, with no highs. In contrast, people with bipolar depression can move back and forth between lows and highs. 

Major depression is the most commonly diagnosed depressive disorder. It affects more than 16 million Americans today.

What are the symptoms of major depression?

Major depression can cause quite a few different symptoms, and everyone may experience it in a unique way. Some of the most common symptoms can include:

  • Loss of interest in the things you usually enjoy
  • Withdrawing from relationships
  • Feelings of worthlessness
  • Feelings of guilt
  • Difficulty focusing
  • Chronic tiredness
  • Lethargy
  • Restlessness and agitation
  • Appetite and weight changes
  • Sleep habit changes
  • Thoughts of self-harm
  • Persistent negative thinking

Most people experience several symptoms at once. Your symptoms may ebb and flow, but with major depressive disorder, the symptoms occur on more days than they don't. 

What is the treatment for major depression?

About 80% of people who experience major depression respond to conservative measures like psychotherapy and medication within 4-6 weeks. The remaining 20%, however, have treatment-resistant depression. 

Treatment-resistant depression can be extremely frustrating, and a lack of treatment results can lead to even more severe symptoms of hopelessness and despair.

In the past, treatment-resistant depression has been notoriously hard to treat, but IV ketamine is an innovative solution that can start working in as little as a few hours. This is a sharp contrast to antidepressants that may take at least a few weeks to produce positive changes or even to indicate that they’re working at all. 

Ketamine is an anesthetic that also happens to have incredibly positive effects on the brain. Although the exact mechanisms of ketamine aren't certain, researchers believe that when ketamine is administered in a safe, patient-specific dose, it works on the neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) involved in mood and pain sensations to quickly reduce negative symptoms.

Thanks to these impressive effects, doctors prescribe ketamine for treatment-resistant depression and stubborn anxiety as well as chronic pain. 

To find out how ketamine can help with your depression, call the Ketaesthetic office or book an appointment online now.